The City Council of Lugo presents the GUD – LUGO Sustainable Urban Solutions Catalog
The Mayor of Lugo Lara Méndez, the Councilor for Urban Sustainability Álvaro Santos and the engineer Jesús Ángel Martínez presented on Tuesday, April 20, the Catálogo GUD – LUGO. This catalog, pioneer in Europe, presents a series of sustainable urban solutions to combat climate change and is included within the actions to be carried out in the LIFE Lugo + Biodinámico.
The document includes 51 measures for sustainable development applicable to different scales of urban intervention and exportable to other medium-sized cities. In the words of Lara Méndez, “it is the first catalog of urban measures for adaptation to climate change that includes formulas to calculate the improvement that its application would entail in terms of polluting emissions, energy consumption or CO2 capture, so it will be a a benchmark not only in Spain but also in Europe”. In addition, the mayor highlighted that “Europe values very positively the work that we are developing in Lugo through different actions such as Impulso Verde, the first passive public building built with 100% wood from Galicia, promoting biodiversity of our forests through the planting of a new 14-hectare green lung between As Gándaras and O Ceao, or the creation of the first Multiecological Neighborhood in Spain; it considers that they are examples that can be transferred to other cities in the EU”.
The solutions listed in this catalog can be consulted through this link Catálogo GUD – LUGO and they are grouped as follows:
- Water management: filtering pavements, blue roofs, street drains, water catchment in buildings
- Vegetation: green belt, parks, urban green walls, revegetation
- Accessibility: safe pedestrian routes, cycle paths, road hierarchy
- Bioclimatic urbanism: orientation in the building, heat networks
- Circular economy: urban gardens, use of recycled materials in urbanization, use of waste
- Citizen participation: nature of community spaces, citizen participation in urban processes
- Cross-cutting: integration of solutions, energy efficiency, monitoring methods
A multidisciplinary team has participated in the development of this project made up of specialists in the different urban planning issues addressed in the catalog. In this way, it constitutes a key instrument that is directly aligned with the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations, as well as the set of urban agendas developed in recent years: since Habitat 111 to the Pact of Amsterdam or the Eixo Atlántico. The document is edited in Galician, Spanish and English, since its purpose is to become a benchmark in Galicia, Spain and the European Union.